Thursday, January 21, 2010

You Win with People


My fist real mentor was my college strength coach. Cal Dietz helped me become the athelte I became on a number of platforms. The first platform was the wooden one I did power-cleans on in the University of Findlay weightroom. I had no idea what I was doing and quite frankly I was lucky I didn't hurt myself. But Cal saw something in me that I didn't see in myself. He coached me, encouraged me, and developed the self-confidence I was lacking that ultimately lead me to the NFL.

I'll never forget the embarrassing first day of college football. For those that don't know what testing day is, it's the first day of the season that coaches can see the progress an athlete made in the off-season by having the athletes demonstrate various tests of strength and explosiveness. Players are tested on various strength tests such as the bench press and vertical jump. My first day as a skinny college athlete I did the 225lb bench press test zero reps. Yup, dropped the weight on my chest and couldn't lift it. Good thing I could catch a football because that was the only thing that was impressive about me as a freshman at the University of Findlay.

It wasn't until the following off-season when Cal came to the University that I aspired to be the best football player I could be. He started by teaching me how to eat. That's right; brought me to the dining hall and filled my plate with whole grain bread, deli-style turkey piled high - and I mean high, lots of vegetables, and two glasses of milk. I followed in his shadow as he explained why he was putting the different foods on my tray. "When you finish this tray, go back through the line and get the same thing again. If you need some ice cream to fill in the cracks that's ok." - I guess he wanted me to gain some weight. Which I did, the right way. Nutritious food with a little humor- I'll always remember that moment as Cal's first day of coaching me. From there it was all business in the weight room. I was always a good athlete because I was blessed with talent but Cal helped me become great.

I've had a lot of great coaches and teachers in my life but none quite like Cal. It takes a special person to find personal success in helping others achieve thier goals. Cal certainly has his own goals which is another skill I learned from him, but he always cared about his athletes reaching thier full potential. In his mind, if his athletes weren't reaching their full potential, he wasn't doing his job to his fullest potential. He gave us everything he had everyday as our coach, and in return, we gave him everything we had. It was the epitome of team. And I loved being a part of it. He made me want to be better everytime I was around him.

Cal will always be a dear friend and mentor. We talk about business ventures and philosophy when we have time and most recently we discussed the book Good to Great by Jim Collins. One of the themes in Collin's book is having the right people in the right positions for your organization. Maybe its the competitive nature of the NFL in me that has influenced me or possibly jaded me, but this philosophy is not just a suggestion for managers to consider is it? If you do not have the right people in the right positions your company will never be great. Just as Cal was the right person to help me, corporations have to find the same "right" people to ensure greatness. People are every company's greatest resource and I completely believe a happy employee is one whom is passionate. Find employees who have a passion for your business and listen to them. Develop them into what they want to be and they will give you everything they have for your business. You may not bench-press 400lbs when its all over, but you will have won the right way with the right people on your team. - Thanks Cal for inspiring me to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment